Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with nursing puppies

Default Help with nursing puppies

My girl nala just had a litter of ten puppies. They are 3 days old and today she laid on one while I was sitting there and did not even notice it. I tried breathing into the puppy several minutes to no avail... My question to the board is should I leave the mother with the newborn pups all the time. I do have pigrails up and a heat lamp. Please. Help board. I always thought that the mother should stay with the puppies at all times
    Willie- "IF IF AINT A BULLDOG, IT AINT NOTHING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrwill48066 View Post
    My girl nala just had a litter of ten puppies. They are 3 days old and today she laid on one while I was sitting there and did not even notice it. I tried breathing into the puppy several minutes to no avail... My question to the board is should I leave the mother with the newborn pups all the time. I do have pigrails up and a heat lamp. Please. Help board. I always thought that the mother should stay with the puppies at all times
    Yeah I would leave her in there

Yea leave her with them and keep an eye on em as long as shes not real bad about it. You can take her out of there and just put her in there every couple hours to feed if you have to. But I wouldn't do that unless she's a hazard to them. , Nich

Yes, leave mom with the pups as long as she is nursing them. I lost 2 pups with my first litter. Sometimes that happens and nothing you can do. Just need to watch her as moves and they move. Mom needs to be with them.

Default thank you

Being that this is my litter it hurts really bad to loose a pup. sad to say I believe one of my pig rails were too high. I recently lowered them and everyone seems ok. I guess it takes some thick skin to do this kind of work. they are four days old all heathy and starting to bark. here is a pic of mom with pups before rail was lowered. The brown one is the one that died.

nala 1st litter jan 24 2012.jpg

If you are able. And you want every pup to have best chance NOT to get squished,,, seperate her from pups except at feeding time or under DIRECT supervision. That means you are ACTIVELY watching her interact with the pups. Not watching tv, working in the same room as the pups and mom are in, no distractions. If she isnt with them when you are not watching, she can't squish one.
    I realize in most cases, its unrealistic to raise a litter as i just described. But on a weekend, you can do it,or on days u are off work and that gives your pups a couple of extra days of growing and maturing.
    Thats a reason a good mama is worth her weight in gold. It's incredible how they can lie on a pup, and i've seen em lie on a 10-12 lb pup a squish it.
    I used to think it's survival of the fittest, if a pup can't keep from getting squished, must be something wrong with it. I've seen too many thriving ,healthy pups squished to believe that anymore. I think mama's get tired, dog's can't count, and a "scootin" pup gets away from the group, it just gets squished.
    "If you want to have friends, you have to be friendly" John D. Johnson

Default Buttering her up a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Renta View Post
    If you are able. And you want every pup to have best chance NOT to get squished,,, seperate her from pups except at feeding time or under DIRECT supervision. That means you are ACTIVELY watching her interact with the pups. Not watching tv, working in the same room as the pups and mom are in, no distractions. If she isnt with them when you are not watching, she can't squish one.
    I realize in most cases, its unrealistic to raise a litter as i just described. But on a weekend, you can do it,or on days u are off work and that gives your pups a couple of extra days of growing and maturing.
    Thats a reason a good mama is worth her weight in gold. It's incredible how they can lie on a pup, and i've seen em lie on a 10-12 lb pup a squish it.
    I used to think it's survival of the fittest, if a pup can't keep from getting squished, must be something wrong with it. I've seen too many thriving ,healthy pups squished to believe that anymore. I think mama's get tired, dog's can't count, and a "scootin" pup gets away from the group, it just gets squished.
    I am talking real sweet to her and rubbing her while I pick up a puppy and hand it to her to feed, which seems to work. This also seems to work especially well when mom is tired. Thanks for all the great info

Sorry that you lost a pup.

I literally lived in the room when Baby had her pups. I set up a bed, tv, dvd,playstation and lived there. June (wife) brought me food and everything.
    Not even a bathroom break until she went outside.
    If I could not be in the room, June was in there for me.
    I was in there for 12 days straight just to be sure. I know some people can't because of work, I was not working at the time so it worked out.
    I was also lucky b/c my girl Baby was a pro.

Best of luck with your new babies.

Now the fun begins!

Rick.
    Last edited by BBK; 01-28-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling

question if you bottle feed, how much should you feed? i know its every hour, but how much.... i have a new litter on ground too , mom is doing good, but i dont want to lose any.. she had 12
    "Bulldogs are proof that God loves us and wants us to have a happy home!"

www.von-smada-kennels.com

Home of:
    Jr. Champion CGC Smada's Purple S K Y of Hayhurst
    Jr. Champion CGC Smada's Preacherman
    CGC Dallas Star
    CGC Xena the Warrior of Ohio
    CGC Smada's Cowboy Casanova of Ryders
    CGC Smada's Spicy Cup of Java of Hendons
    CGC Otis Gabriel Yates

5ml every 3-4hrs or so, to start. Tube feeding is way easier especially with 12 pups. If momma is doing fine and keeping them full just stick with momma. There is more to supplementing than what I wrote but this should help. If you have the time you may want to split the litter and rotate them on mom. I would try that first and see how it works. If the mom doesn't seem to have enough for them or doesn't cooperate as well as she should, supplementing 2-3x per day will help. Try to keep them on mom if possible.
    "Start with the good ones and breed the good ones to the good ones. Don't try to change the breed." John D. Johnson

www.rosevalleyamericanbulldogs.com

rosevalleykennels@yahoo.com